San Diego Events and Fundraisers – Help Pets Find Homes
December 20: Alesmith Brewing Company’s Ugly Sweater Party
Stop by AleSmith Brewing Company, in Miramar, on December 20, for the cheeriest (or ugliest) holiday sweaters! Bring your pup and pawticipate in the Canine Costume Contest at 7 p.m. – there will be winners for “Most Festive,” “Best Duo,” and “Ugliest Attire!” Winner will receive cool prize baskets for their dogs and a little something for the humans, too.
December 18 through January 5: Winter Critter Camp
December 18 – 22 ● December 26 – 29 ● January 2 – 5
Preschool – 6th grade
Daily sign-ups available
Winter Critter Camp will melt away the stress and boredom of another school break! Your kids are sure to be merry when they interact with a variety of animals, from a tiny Vietnamese walking stick to a big fluffy alpaca and many in between. Each day of the week has a unique theme, different animals to meet, crafts to create, and games to play. See daily themes or RSVP!
January 13: You Can Be a Veterinarian Camp (Surgery Edition), 8:45 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
You Can Be a Veterinarian Camp (Surgical Edition), at Helen Woodward Animal Center, offers a rare opportunity for kids to practice veterinary skills, interact with animals and gain experience with equipment they might use in the future as veterinarians! This camp is for junior animal-lovers aged 9 through 16.
- Exotics Physiology Lab: Show off your dexterity as you perform a dissection on a paper frog. You will also get an up close encounter with one of our frogs and discover why amphibians are so unique.
- Equine Care & Management 101: Learn about the different aspects of equine care and the roles of the veterinarians, technicians and assistants while visiting the Equine Hospital.
- Veterinary Surgical Nursing 100: Meet and pet a snake while learning about a life-saving surgery that our Chief of Staff Dr. Patricia Carter performed on one of our scaly friends. Campers will practice surgical suturing of incisions on a life-like model.
- Basics of Canine CPR & Intro to Anatomy: Practice fundamental CPR techniques on a canine training model and view a respiratory demonstration. You will also get to put your anatomy knowledge into a creation that is yours to keep.
- Lagomorph Parasitology 100: Interact with a rabbit and learn about the parasitic organisms that can affect these small mammals and others. You will view slides of parasites under a microscope and discuss different treatment options.
January 15: Martin Luther King Jr. Day Critter Camp
MLK Jr. Day Critter Camp gives kids in San Diego the chance to meet a variety of animals while learning why each critter deserves compassion. Through hands-on interactions, crafts, and activities, your child will discover how they can help to create a more humane world.
Our theme is, “Creating a more humane world!” Campers will learn all about compassion for critters while interacting with a sheep, Madagascar hissing cockroach, pigeon, snake, chinchilla and visiting our adoptions center.
Preschool (must be at least 4 years old): 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Kindergarten through 6th Grade: 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
January 27: Volunteer Orientation, 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Want to help animals and people in San Diego and beyond? Take the first step to becoming a Helen Woodward Animal Center Dedicated Volunteer! You’re invited to Helen Woodward Animal Center’s Volunteer Orientation, the first step in becoming a volunteer with the Center. This two-hour orientation includes:
- An overview and history of Helen Woodward Animal Center,
- A talk with Mike Arms, President and CEO,
- Unique ways you can use your talent and skills to help animals and people,
- Visits from our departments and even a surprise visit from an animal or two,
- A walking-tour of Center grounds.
This orientation is free and those 14+ are invited to attend! Visit our website for more information.