San Diego Events and Fundraisers
April 1 – 26: Spring Critter Camp
FOR CHILDREN IN PRESCHOOL THROUGH 6TH GRADE
Kids in San Diego can spend Spring Break with awesome animals at Critter Camp! Your child’s appreciation for all critters will flourish as they interact with animals, create crafts, play games and more. Each day has a unique theme and a variety of species for kids to meet. Sign up for multiple days or come to just one, either way, your kids are sure to have fun.
Enjoy a full, station-style buffet with every sweet-to-savory, breakfast-y-to-lunch-y dish you could imagine as you sip on bottomless mimosas, fresh juices, mocktails and more. Plus, furry friends from the Helen Woodward Animal Center are coming to visit! There will be adoptable puppies to play with all brunch long, plus therapy dogs dressed up in their Sunday best.
April 27: Pet Day on the Bay
Pet Day on the Bay, by Hornblower Cruises and Events, is only pet-friendly event of its kind in Southern California! Pet Day on the Bay is a towel/blanket drive and fundraiser benefiting orphan pets of Helen Woodward Animal Center. Dogs cruise free! Register today!
WHAT YOU GET
- 1-hour narrated cruise
- Unparalleled photo and video opportunities
- Close-up views of military ships and San Diego skyline, with a chance to see marine animals and seabirds
- An introduction to local environmental efforts
- Snack bar with adult beverages, soft drinks and hot and cold snacks, plus souvenirs and photos available for purchase
- A portion of proceeds benefits Helen Woodward Animal Center
- Special guest appearances! Meet Dog Training Expert & Host Darris Cooper
- Meet Petco Certified Dog Trainers and Stylists
- Enjoy a bountiful treat buffet- sponsored by Petco
Join Helen Woodward Center at Tiger!Tiger! to support people experiencing homelessness and their pets. You’ll be in good spirits when you eat your banh mi wood-fired sandwich, knowing that a portion of your lunch was donated to Helen Woodward’s Pets Without Walls program, which helps homeless San Diegans keep their four-legged companions fed and healthy.
FOR CHILDREN AGED 9 THROUGH 16
You Can Be a Veterinarian Camp offers a rare opportunity for kids in San Diego to practice veterinary skills, interact with animals, and gain experience with equipment they might use in the future! Both the Surgery and Internal Medicine Camps are offered the weekend of May 4 and 5. View curriculum for each Vet Camp and sign up today.
FOR CHILDREN IN 1ST THROUGH 5TH GRADE
Struggling readers can improve their fluency skills by reading to animals! They say that practice makes perfect, and reading aloud is an important skill to master. But reading to other people can be nerve-wracking, which can make it difficult to practice. That is why we’ve recruited our animal ambassadors to lend a nonjudgmental ear to kids who want to become more confident readers. So grab your favorite book and get ready to read to and interact with some super cute animals at Paws & Pages!
FOR KIDS AND ADULTS
Many people have ophidiophobia, or a fear of snakes, for a variety of reasons, which is why we’re offering the brand new SnakeSmart workshop to help you overcome your fear of snakes. You will have the opportunity to gain a better understanding about snakes and their behavior, learn how to react if you see a snake in the wild, and hopefully come to appreciate these misunderstood reptiles.
Want to help animals and people in San Diego and beyond? Take the first step to becoming a Helen Woodward Animal Center Dedicated Volunteer! You’re invited to Helen Woodward Animal Center’s Volunteer Orientation, the first step in becoming a volunteer with the Center. This two-hour orientation includes:
- An overview and history of Helen Woodward Animal Center,
- A talk with Mike Arms, President and CEO,
- Unique ways you can use your talent and skills to help animals and people,
- Visits from our departments and even a surprise visit from an animal or two,
- A walking-tour of Center grounds.
This orientation is free and those 14+ are invited to attend! Visit our website for more information.