Valentine’s Day is all about expressing our love to family and friends. You and your little one can create this adorable bookmark, which you can keep if you are book lovers or gift to someone special!
Valentine’s Day Bookmark Craft Materials Needed
- Pattern scissors
- Hole punch
- Scotch tape
- Yarn or string
- Pencil with new eraser
- Red Sharpie or marker
- Construction paper
Valentine’s Day Bookmark Craft Directions
1. Use regular scissors to cut out rectangles from the construction paper. You will need two different sizes: 6” x 2” and 6” x 1.5”.
2. Fold an extra piece of construction paper in half and draw half a heart on the creased side. While the paper is still folded, use regular scissors to cut out each half heart. Once cut out, unfold the construction paper to get a perfect heart shape!
3. Using the patterned scissors, trim a small amount off the long sides of the smaller construction paper rectangles (6” x 1.5” size).
4. Take the small rectangle that now has patterned edges and, using a small amount of glue, glue onto the middle of the larger rectangle.
5. Using regular scissors or a small hole punch, create a hole at the top of your bookmark and tie on your string.
6. Take a small amount of tape to tape down your heart templates to the center of your bookmark. Stick the tape to the back of your heart by making a circle so that the sticky part of the tape is facing out on both sides. Make sure the tape does not extend past the shape of your small hearts! Before sticking your hearts to your bookmark, first stick them to your arm and carefully peel them off. (Doing this first will remove some of the “stickiness” to prevent ripping your bookmark in the next steps!)
7. Use your pencil eraser to dot paint around the perimeter of each heart template. Be gentle and make sure not to move the heart template around.
8. After the paint has dried, carefully remove each heart template, trace the heart shape with your red marker, and your bookmark is complete!
Kids in San Diego will get to create super cute crafts during February Critter Camp. Click here to learn more and to register!