Fall is here and that only means one thing to us: Iams Home 4 the Holidays is starting!
As many as 8 million animals are homeless in North America and more than half of them are euthanized each year due to facility overcrowding. To help eradicate this problem, Helen Woodward Animal Center began a program that has grown to become one of the most successful pet adoption programs in the world.
In 1999, Iams Home 4 the Holidays (H4TH) was launched to educate people about the importance of pet adoption. At that time, there were 14 participating animal organizations and 2,563 animals were adopted into loving homes. Today, more than 3,500 adoption organizations from 21 countries are dedicated to helping orphaned pets through Iams Home 4 the Holidays.
According to Mike Arms, founder of H4TH and our President/CEO, it’s important to ask yourself the following questions before considering adopting a new pet:
- Why do I want to adopt a pet?
- Am I/my family ready to make a long term commitment?
- Will I be able to spend quality time with my new pet?
- Do I know what kind of pet is right for me?
- Can I afford to care for my new pet’s health and safety?
- Is my home adequate for a new pet?
- Will I train my new animal companion?
Here are some quick facts about the program:
- H4TH runs from October 1st, 2010, through January 4th, 2011
- The goal of the program is to help 1.5 million orphaned animals to find permanent, loving homes
- Visit Iams Facebook to follow our Adoption Angels, to help donate food to shelters, to find a potential pet or to look for other ways to get involved
- For every specially marked package of Iams dog or cat food purchased during the campaign, Iams will make a donation of one bowl of food for each bag purchased to a shelter in need
If you have questions about the Iams Home 4 the Holidays campaign, or if you want to find more information about adopting a great new friend, visit the Home 4 the Holidays website or our Facebook page.
Here’s to adopting 1.5 million pets this season!!