On July 29th, 2010, Helen Woodward Animal Center received a proclamation from Congressman Brian Bilbray, affirming the work The Center does to further the humane treatment of animals and for our programs that enhance their lives and the lives of people.
We would like to take a moment to thank Congressman Brian Bilbray for his proclamation honoring the good work that Helen Woodward Animal Center, its volunteers, donors and employees do. One might not see it on the outside, but with our spectrum of departments and programs, it takes a lot of hard work to make this work possible:
- AniMeals – offers free pet food for the dogs and cats of elderly or disabled people throughout San Diego County.
- Club Pet – provides a com fortable “home away from home” for your pet, whether it’s for the day or for a week or more. (It’s like an Animal Hyatt!)
- Education – provides a variety of unique learning opportunities for families and children, which support the bond between humans and animals. (Like our Critter Camp, which you’ve read about already.)
- Pet Encounter Therapy – program brings the unconditional love and tactile benefits of animals to people in facilities such as abused children’s shelters, hospitals, psychiatric facilities, and senior centers.
- Equine Hospital – provides an exceptional facility for the use of accredited veterinarians, enabling them to provide high-quality veterinary care for the health and welfare of the community horse population and to provide a resource for education of the public and equine professionals in matters of the health and welfare of horses. (Temporary home of world famous twin foals “Sunny and Angel.”)
- Theraputic Riding – benefits children and adults who have a variety of special needs relating to cerebral palsy, Down’s syndrome, and autism to stroke recovery and learning disabilities.
- Animal Center Education Services (ACES) Conference – teaches “the business of saving lives” to animal lovers, shelter workers, and humanitarians from around the world, free of charge.
- Home 4 The Holidays – is an adoption drive to encourage families to save lives by adopting their pets from shelters instead of buying from puppy mills and backyard breeders.
And, as always…
- Animal Adoptions – where we have many wonderful dogs, cats, puppies, and kittens available for adoption. (And super cute, I might add!)
So, thank you, Congressman Brian Bilbray! We share this honor with our wonderful supporters, donors, volunteers, employees, adoption families, critter campers… we could go on forever! We also want to share the honor with our orphaned dogs and cats, looking for their forever families. This proclamation adds dignity to their lives, reinforcing that every animal should have a right to life and a forever family.